"Find Declaration" navigation
Dan Barclay
2008-01-25 22:20:05 UTC
Using Delphi 2007

In previous versions of Delphi I could navigate to function
declarations using Ctrl-Click on the instance, or I could
Ctrl-Click on an Interface declaration to navigate to the
Implementation. I could also Ctrl-Click on the
Implementation declaration to go back and forth between
Interface and Implementation.

Now it seems that using Find Declaration to navigate between
implemenation and interface declarations of a procedure no
longer works. What was put in its place, and where do I
find that in the documentation?

Thanks,
Dan
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-01-25 23:34:47 UTC
Post by Dan Barclay
Using Delphi 2007
In previous versions of Delphi I could navigate to function
declarations using Ctrl-Click on the instance, or I could Ctrl-Click
on an Interface declaration to navigate to the Implementation. I
could also Ctrl-Click on the Implementation declaration to go back
and forth between Interface and Implementation.
Now it seems that using Find Declaration to navigate between
implemenation and interface declarations of a procedure no longer
works. What was put in its place, and where do I find that in the
documentation?
I still can (using the December update, which is still a funny
"version" number).

As soon as you press Ctrl and hover the mouse over an item it should
turn blue/underlined (assuming default colour scheme).

Does Ctrl+Shift+ArrowUp/ArrowDown still function for you?
Pieter
Dan Barclay
2008-01-26 02:28:38 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Post by Dan Barclay
[...]
I don't think I've installed that yet (I can't remember what
I installed last). I've been in the middle of some work and
didn't want to disturb the systems. Maybe this weekend.
Good to know that still works.
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
As soon as you press Ctrl and hover the mouse over an item
it should
turn blue/underlined (assuming default colour scheme).
Does Ctrl+Shift+ArrowUp/ArrowDown still function for you?
Yes, that works and it's exactly what I want to do... I
didn't know it was there.

Now off to find it in the documentation to see what else I
don't know about.

Thanks!
Dan
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-01-26 03:47:49 UTC
Now off to find it in the documentation to see what else I don't know
about.
Be careful, the more you learn, the less you know ;-)
Pieter
Dan Barclay
2008-01-26 04:25:09 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Post by Dan Barclay
Now off to find it in the documentation to see what else
I don't know
about.
Be careful, the more you learn, the less you know ;-)
No kidding. I found the page listing the default key
mappings (again). Sheesh. No way to remember all that. I
guess I'll have to write 'em on the back of my hands.

Interestingly I find that the Ctrl-Shift-UpArrow and
Ctrl-Shift-Downarrow have the same description text. They
also seem to do exactly the same thing. I thought one was
the inverse of the other but that doesn't seem to be the
case. Makes you wonder why they are two different
keystrokes.

Dan
Tiedo Kruisselbrink
2008-01-28 12:00:02 UTC
No kidding. I found the page listing the default key mappings
(again). Sheesh. No way to remember all that. I guess I'll have to
write 'em on the back of my hands.
I have given up on remembering all the available hotkeys. I am using a
mouse :)
(just right-click every now and then, and you'll see what's possible)

Tiedo
Dan Barclay
2008-01-28 16:52:52 UTC
Post by Tiedo Kruisselbrink
Post by Dan Barclay
No kidding. I found the page listing the default key
mappings
(again). Sheesh. No way to remember all that. I guess
I'll have to
write 'em on the back of my hands.
I have given up on remembering all the available hotkeys.
I am using a
mouse :)
(just right-click every now and then, and you'll see
what's possible)
Thanks Tiedo

That's what I'd been doing on most things, but this one
(find declaration) wasn't working even with the mouse menu.
It would always take me to the interface declaration, even
if that's where I was.

I downloaded the latest patch and the mouse declaration now
works, even with the mouse.

Dan
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-01-31 17:45:09 UTC
(using the December update, which is still a funny "version" number).
Well, if the versions are called after years, why shouldn't the updates
be called after months? <g>

Of course you can refer to it by the build number, but I find December
much easier to remember. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-02-01 20:50:20 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
(using the December update, which is still a funny "version"
number).
Well, if the versions are called after years, why shouldn't the
updates be called after months? <g>
Good point :) Although I liked the term D7.1 much better then this
longish "CRS2007 Delphi Win 32 R2 (or was it Update 3) with December
update" (just talking about the version number, nothing else).
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Of course you can refer to it by the build number, but I find December
much easier to remember. <g>
True, recently I noticed somebody talking about 10.0.2558.35231 and
looked at my own version of BDS2006 at home, it said 10.0.2288.42451.
Oh man, I'm behind, but what update did I miss ?-) (Hint HotFix 12).

So in short I'm not a big fan of build numbers also, I would prefer
something like CRS2007 SP4.
Pieter
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-02-01 22:16:57 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
(using the December update, which is still a funny "version"
number).
Well, if the versions are called after years, why shouldn't the
updates be called after months? <g>
Of course you can refer to it by the build number, but I find December
much easier to remember. <g>
Hmm, a product called 2007 with a December update, what are the chances
of another update and what will it be called? <g>
Pieter
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-02-01 23:11:16 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Hmm, a product called 2007 with a December update, what are the
chances of another update and what will it be called? <g>
The update must not necessarily come in the same year as the product
was released.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
-- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-02-02 04:15:01 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Hmm, a product called 2007 with a December update, what are the
chances of another update and what will it be called? <g>
The update must not necessarily come in the same year as the product
was released.
That sounds like a PC answer ;-)
--
Pieter