Capacity and Limitation documentation?
Dan Barclay
2008-01-23 05:54:55 UTC
Several times I've looked for limitations on various things
and haven't found the place that documentation resides.

At the moment I'm looking for documentation on
TClientDataset (Win32 D2007) with regard to maximum record
count, max field sizes (TBlobField in particular), max
dataset memory usage, etc, etc.

I want to use the thing to collect/log information on a
temporary basis and possibly dump it to a cds file. I'd
like to know how to tell I'm getting near limits.

Where is this information??

Thanks,
Dan
Chris Morgan
2008-01-26 00:32:22 UTC
Post by Dan Barclay
Several times I've looked for limitations on various things
and haven't found the place that documentation resides.
At the moment I'm looking for documentation on
TClientDataset (Win32 D2007) with regard to maximum record
count, max field sizes (TBlobField in particular), max
dataset memory usage, etc, etc.
I want to use the thing to collect/log information on a
temporary basis and possibly dump it to a cds file. I'd
like to know how to tell I'm getting near limits.
Where is this information??
Not sure if it is documented anywhere.
I experimented with using clientdatasets back in D6.
I found that adding and querying slowed right down when
the number of records approached 10000. The records I was
using included string fields. It was probably quicker with
just numeric fields. And clientdatasets may have improved
since then.
However, the performance was not good enough for me,
and I went with an embedded firebird DB instead.

cheers,

Chris
Dan Barclay
2008-01-26 02:37:14 UTC
Post by Chris Morgan
Post by Dan Barclay
[...]
Thanks for the reply.

What I'm doing won't involve 10k records so I should be fine
there. I'm using it to stuff away some blobs of various
sizes and I wanted to see how close to the edge I was on
those so I'd know whether to knock it off to keep from
blowing the entire app. I don't know if the TBlobFields are
good for 200k or 200Gig (OK, I'm fairly sure it's not good
for 200Gig<g>), likewise I don't know if there is a limit on
the total database size or not.

Dan
Paul Hope
2008-03-13 14:56:05 UTC
Hi Dan
I know its a while since you posted this but I gad a sudden urge to provide
a non answer ;-)
I did some development with TClientDataset some time ago and found it
incredibly slow when a significant amount of data was thrown at it. I then
programmed my stuff using a simple TList the speed increase was incredible.
So if you're looking to heavily load a TClientDataset I would say DONT.

Regards
Paul
Dan
Dan Barclay
2008-03-13 18:16:40 UTC
Post by Paul Hope
Hi Dan
I know its a while since you posted this but I gad a
sudden urge to provide
a non answer ;-)
It is much appreciated<g>.
Post by Paul Hope
I did some development with TClientDataset some time ago
and found it
incredibly slow when a significant amount of data was
thrown at it. I then
programmed my stuff using a simple TList the speed
increase was incredible.
So if you're looking to heavily load a TClientDataset I
would say DONT.
Actually it will normally be very lightly loaded. I just
want to make sure that, even in unlikely events, it will
degrade gracefully and not crash something.

It appears from the anecdotal specifications here that I'll
be nowhere near a problem.

So, hopefully your non answer is to a non problem<g>.
Maybe.

Dan
Post by Paul Hope
Regards