Kudos to System Objects - good reference for CodeGear
Brion L. Webster
2008-03-11 16:13:22 UTC
http://www.codegear.com/article/37673/images/37673/D400%20for%20PHP%20Dev%20Guide.pdf

System Objects' Delphi/400 Dev Guide, especially in Tutorial section 6, is
an excellent standard which CodeGear should strive to emulate.

Components are explained, not just by what they do, but why, and what
common things you'd want to do with them. The tutorial is long enough,
and meaty enough, to be meaningful. That kind of thing should be included
in the OLH, not buried somewhere in a directory.

Granted, the pdf refers to projects included with the software for more
reference on "how to do xxx".

I miss the samples and such from Delphi <= 7. I also acknowledge that
reading a .pdf will flow much differently than F1 help. But boy oh boy,
Delphi could benefit from shipping some .pdfs like this.

Clearly organize "how to develop web applications" as a .pdf. Compare and
contrast "VCL for the web" (or whatever intraweb is being remarketed as)
vs. webbroker vs. asp.net, then show us how to do it the right way, giving
us the other options along the way.

Set up another .pdf for Client Server applications, Multi-tier
applications, etc.

Verbose tutorials are needed.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'
- Mercedes Lackey
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-03-11 20:39:58 UTC
Post by Brion L. Webster
I miss the samples and such from Delphi <= 7. I also acknowledge
that reading a .pdf will flow much differently than F1 help.
The latest few help updates came with examples, but still not nearly
enough. <g>

I agree that the D/400 tutorial is well done.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that
someone, somewhere is having fun with a computer on company time.
Networks help alleviate that fear." -- John C. Dvorak.